To be a bride in the age of Pinterest is such a beautiful thing - it is the perfect place to keep track of all the inspirational eye candy that you come across while trying to piece together your event design. For all of you newbies, "Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. It lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web." It's like an online version of a wedding planning binder filled to the brim with tear-outs from magazines. Get started now with my 5 easy tips:
- Request an invite: Pinterest is so fancy that you need to be invited to join, so you can enter your email address here to request membership, or email me at email@example.com and I'll get you in.
- Set up your profile: once you're in, be sure to edit your profile. I suggest adding a bio (include something about your wedding day vision) and uploading a fabulous headshot. You can also update your email notification preferences and add Pinterest to your Facebook timeline.
- Organize your boards: boards are a collection of pins, and by default, Pinterest will provide you with 5 templates for boards to get started: Products I Love, Favorite Places and Spaces, Books Worth Reading, My Style Pinboard, and For the Home. If you already know some of the categories you'll be pinning (wedding decor inspiration, dream wedding gowns, etc.), you can add them now, or create them as you go.
- Follow other pinners: Pinterest will recommend some followers for you, but I think the best way to determine who you want to follow is to explore all the pins out there. At the top of the page, directly under the logo is a drop-down menu labeled "Everything" - you can either click on that to start browsing, well...everything. Or you can choose a category. Once you see something you like, click on the pinner's username, and if you're interested in their boards and pins, go ahead and follow them.
- Let your inspiration run wild: now it's time for you to fill up those boards! You can pin images a few different ways - search through Pinterest and re-pin images that you love, search any website and pin images you love (you'll first need to install the "pin it" button on your toolbar - Pinterest will show you how here), or upload images that you love.
Image found via Pinterest
Now you're well on your way to making your dream wedding vision a reality. Be sure to tell your Wedding Planner to follow you on Pinterest so that he or she can be the first to know what inspires you.
And while you're at it, follow me for tons of wedding, home, fashion, and beauty inspiration: http://pinterest.com/rufflesandtweed/#